10 most dangerous things for kids for the summer
When it’s summertime, I prefer my kids playing outdoors, games, swimming, riding bikes, Etc. rather than sitting in front of a TV or playing on some handheld devices. However there’s plenty of things that can go wrong and cause injury. As a parent, you’ve always got to watch your kids and always teach them about safety.
The consumer advocacy group W.A.T.C.H. (World against toys causing harm) has recently put together a list of the top 10 summer hazards for kids. The list includes activities and toys that can be dangerous, cause injuries or even death.
The top 10 includes:
- Toy Guns: Injuries from Pellet guns or BB guns has risen significantly over the past decade because of the newer models being produced.
- Flying Toys: From the small plastic remote-control helicopters to the drones, fast spinning blades and quick movements can be dangerous, with a majority of injuries head related.
- Hoverboards: We all saw the news stories of these toys catching fire because of the batteries being used. These toy are also known to have caused plenty of broken bones, bruises and concussions.
- Kid Pools: Baby pools, buckets with water and even water gardens can be a drowning risk to the smallest ones. A child can drown in as little as two inches of water.
- Floaties and Noodles: These often cause a false sense of security and some can easily block the view of a child in trouble.
- Pool Covers: Kids can easily become trapped in them and unable to get free.
- Bounce Houses & Trampolines: If not taught properly, children can be seriously injured. Injuries can include neck, head and spine damage. Too many kids bouncing around at the same time can also be dangerous.
- Scooters: Non-motorized scooters are especially dangerous around roads with heavy traffic. W.A.T.C.H. found close to 56,000 injuries in 2014 alone from non-motorized scooters.
- Cords & Strings: You may not think of the strap on a helmet or the string on a sun hat, but these can be choking hazards to young children.
- Toys with Small Parts: This not only fits for summertime, but pretty much all the time. Watch toys that include small parts or accessories especially around infants.